10 Tips for Communicating Science with Scientists
(List presented by AG at ComSciCon 2013.)
- Know your audience.
- Decide what you are trying to say, before you start preparing any text, slides, video, or interactives.
- Turn your work into a compelling story.
- Less is more, especially in presentations.
- Never overuse jargon or equations.
- “PowerPoint doesn’t kill presentations, bullets do.”
- Handouts are often an interesting option in live presentations.
- Visualization and good graphics are critical for colleagues, not just for “the public.”
- Don’t be afraid to break the mold.
- Give credit where credit is due.